MSD is looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious:
Intern in Pharmaceutical Technology
on behalf of the Department Bioprocess Technology & Support, and Discovery & Technology-Vaccine Formulation & Delivery
Merck Animal Health is one of the world's leading companies in the field of veterinary medicines. MSD Animal Health develops and manufactures vaccines and drugs for farm animals, pets and fish. We have offices in over 50 countries and sell our products in more than 140 markets in which we operate in a network of production and R & D sites around the world. MSD is characterized by an open culture with lots of room for initiative. Your development is central in this internship, but we also want to learn from you!
The internship is a collaboration between the departments of Discovery and Technology – Vaccine Formulation and Delivery (D&T – VFD) and Bioprocess Technology and Support – Vaccine Manufacturing (BTS-VM). The intern will be supervised by a scientist from D&T-VFD.
In brief, D&T is a research and service department and a part of Global R&D. Our remit is to conduct proof of concept research into novel vaccine technologies and to play a key role in interacting with the external R&D community to identify and evaluate potential new leads relevant for MSD Animal Health. Our research supplements R&D research on a longer term and broader platform basis is aligned with R&D in areas of high priority. This department in Boxmeer is organized into three units divided along general areas of technology research: Research, Vaccine Analysis, and Vaccine Formulation and Delivery. The activities of the Vaccine Formulation & Delivery sub-group are focused towards development and optimization of novel formulation technologies focused on improving the efficacy and safety profile of the vaccine product.
BTS is responsible for process development of production processes for bacterial and viral antigens as well as vaccine manufacturing (freeze drying and liquid formulations) processes for new vaccines (R&D pipeline). Moreover, BTS is responsible for remediation and improvement of processes of commercial vaccines. The global BTS team has worldwide representation and closely cooperates with Manufacturing, Quality and R&D colleagues of MSD Animal Health.
Project and specific activities that the student will be working on:
• The student will be working on development of (bio)polymeric formulations containing inactivated antigens for oral vaccine delivery.
• The student will be working with the formulation process, which consists of several steps involving processes, such as mixing, extrusion, emulsification, freeze drying, milling etc.
• The student will also be optimizing the various processes along with assessing the quality control parameters, defining the intermediate formulation material as well as the final product (for example, viscosity, antigen content, microscopy, water activity of the final product).
The activities described above are the basic package and will be conducted often independently after a good first work- and learning period. On its own initiative or by request from the organization, these can be supplemented with other projects and / or tasks.
We are looking for:
A HBO student pharmaceutical technology or food technology or equivalent who;
• In his/her last year of the study
• Is available for 5 days a week for a period of at least 5 months but preferably 9 months.
• Has a professional attitude, enthusiasm and inquisitiveness and finds it a challenge to do an internship in a dynamic complex environment.
• Must have good oral and written communication skills in English.
• Preferably has knowledge in pharmaceutical science in formulation.
• Preferably has knowledge of processing biopolymers.
• Demonstrates a problem solving and critical thinking ability.
• A broad-based internship, which allows you to get acquainted with many aspects of the field and there to gain experience, with enough room for own initiative.
• A challenging and dynamic learning environment with a lot of space for personal development.
• Professional guidance by an experienced specialist.
• A placement fee of € 375, - for Higher professional education (HBO) and an allowance of € 470, - for Academic/University (WO) gross per month (based on a 40-hour week).
Information & Application:
Are you interested in this internship, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
For more information about the internship, please contact at the above e-mail or by phone: +31 6 25 07 46 30
The application process consists two interviews.